Tuesday, March 15, 2005

MX1000 Laser Mouse Review

Historically I have not been a big fan of wireless mice. I love to game, which requires very accurate mouse tracking and in the past wireless mice have just not delivered this so I have been tethered to a USB mouse for a long time. That is... until now!



I must say at first I was very sceptical, but although it took a little getting used to I knew the first time I layed hands on this mouse that it was something special. The mouse itself is a little larger than my normal MS Intellimouse, but after the initial adjustment I found it to be extremely comfortable to use over extended periods of time. The tracking and communication of tracking information is second to none... it could just as easily be a wired mouse, I could not tell the difference. I think this is more down to the way the information is relayed from the mouse to the base station than it is to the laser tracking since I never really had that much of an issue with the regular wired IR tracked mice. Either way the whole package works very well.

As for the laser tracking, I have had this mouse for some time now on a variety of surfaces and have never had ANY slippage whatsoever. Although I don't think this is a huge issue for IR mice since most people are aware of the kind of surfaces it does and doesn't work on, it is nice not to have to worry about having a good surface if you want to take the mouse out and about.

Logitech are about to release the MX3100 combo which includes this mouse plus the MX3000 keyboard for a retail price of $149. The keyboard also communicates with the same base station, which cuts down on the number of receivers. My previous Logitech wireless keyboard was not compatible with this mouse base station, so I ended up with two wireless receivers... not a very neat solution. It is not yet clear whether this keyboard will be available seperately. I am hoping it will since it would be a shame to have to go out and buy the whole kit and end up with a duplicate mouse.

The mouse itself is not cheap at $79, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has the money to spend and wants the best mouse money can buy. I would most definitely recommend it to any power gamers out there and indeed challenge them to find a better mouse, wired or wireless. If you like your keyboard wireless too though, it would be worth holding out for the combo pack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home