Wednesday, July 27, 2005

HMD Field of View Comparison

There has been some discussion and confusion over field of view sizes for the Z800 in comparison to other head mounted displays. The fact that the individual manufacturers quote in different sizes does not make this any easier. To help clarify, I have calculated the virtual screen sizes at the same distance based on the published field of view specificiations for the major models. My results are shown below.

Cy-Visor DH4400

31 degree FOV equivalent to 44" at 2m

i-Glasses 3D

26 degree FOV equivalent to 36.4" at 2m

Sony PLM-S700(E)

38 degree FOV equivalent to 54.2" at 2m

Emagin Z800

40 degree FOV equivalent to 57.3" at 2m

Hope this helps!

4 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger Raeldor said...

Large FOV is everyone's dream, but it's easier said than done because I think the optics required to wrap an image around your peripheral vision while maintaining a good optical quality is very expensive. Compound that with the cost of the micro displays required to drive the resolution and you have something that only the military can currently afford.

That's why I think it's important to support existing consumer VR as much as possible. It's only by showing that VR has good marketplace potential in the games market that companies will be willing to spend R&D budget on more elaborate products for the future.

I think we are still a good 20 years away from seeing immersive VR in the mainstream console (or whatever incarnation consoles take in 20 years time) market. But every step counts. Who knows... in 50 years time those Emagin Z800's may be worth money to collectors! ;P

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Raeldor said...

I hear what you are saying about playing games on your standard monitor. I tend to do the same. I really mostly use the Z800 for simulation (flight and driving) and playing FPS when I want to scare myself silly (F.E.A.R.).

I guess maybe the sickness is down to the individual. I can play for extended periods without getting the sickness effect you described. If you are playing in stereoscopic 3d you might want to take the distance between the two images down (ctrl+f3 & ctrl+f4 I think). This helps a lot.

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know ,I have some priston tale Gold,and my friend also has some priston tale Money,do you kouw they have the same meaning,I just want to buy priston tale Gold,because there are many cheap priston tale Gold

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know ,I have some flyff penya,and my friend also has some
flyff money,do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called flyff gold,I just want to
buy flyff penya,because there are many
cheap penya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home